美国电影学院编剧系留学生孔乐琪毕业演讲

Wednesday, 28 November 2018 11:33 Edit by  CCNews 编辑整理 Published in 视频精选

AFI今年的毕业典礼上,代表全校同学做毕业演讲的是一个中国姑娘,她的名字叫做Vanessa——孔乐琪。

好莱坞有一所知名的电影学院——美国电影学院(American Film Institute,简称AFI)。在AFI今年的毕业典礼上,代表全校同学做毕业演讲的,是一个中国姑娘,这也是中国留学生第一次站上AFI毕业演讲的舞台。这名中国留学生来自编剧专业,她的名字叫做Vanessa——孔乐琪。

In order to get there, we invited one of your classmates, one of your colleagues, a graduating fellow, class speaker, and a screen writer.
在此我们邀请了一名学生代表,一位毕业生 也是你们的同学,进行毕业演讲,来自于编剧专业。

Please welcome Lechi Vanessa Kong.
有请凡妮莎 孔乐琪。

 

Good morning, everyone!
早上好各位!

Can you believe this is happening?
这一天终于到了。

We're finally graduating.
我们终于要毕业了。

Thank you so much Mr. Gladstein for pronouncing my name right.
谢谢格莱德斯坦先生念了我的中文名。

Or at least trying to.
您真的尽力了。

It's a hard name to pronounce for non-native speakers.
对于非中文母语的人来说我的名字很难念。

That's why, in the US, I go by Vanessa.
在美国 我用凡妮莎这个英文名。

So Vanessa Kong is not my real name.
凡妮莎·孔不是我的真名。

Just like Dr Jodie Foster, who's real name is Alicia Christian Foster.
朱迪·福斯特教授也是,她的真名是艾丽西亚·克里斯丁·福斯特。

I just- I couldn't resist it.
我真的忍不住。

This is probably the only chance I can put my name and Dr. Foster's in the same sentence.
现在可能是唯一的机会能让我的名字和福斯特教授的名字并排出现。

I'm sorry. But not really.
我道歉,但实在太爽了。

I chose the name Vanessa when I was 13 years old and was madly in love with Johnny Depp, whose wife at the time was Vanessa Paradis.
13岁时,我选了凡妮莎这个名字因为我超爱约翰尼·德普,他当时的妻子是凡妮莎·帕拉迪丝。

Who would've thought that 15 years later, I'm here in Hollywood, and Mr. Depp would be entrenched in his very serious rock n roll career, and has divorced twice, which means I have a chance now. And he doesn't have to change that "Vanessa forever" tattoo.
谁能想到15年后 我来到了好莱坞,德普先生却把摇滚玩的风生水起,还离了两次婚,现在我的机会来了。他的"挚爱凡妮莎"纹身就别改了。

It is a great honor to give this speech.
获得此次演讲机会是我的荣幸。

An honor that I don't think I fully deserve.
我不敢说自己当之无愧。

Even though this is, technically, a Chinese theatre and I am Chinese.
虽然身处中国剧院 我还是中国人。

Part of the reason why I'm standing here is because i received massive assistance from my Chinese fellows. . . that's 20% of the AFI population right there.
我之所以能站在这里,要归功于非常给力的中国同学,毕竟AFI百分之二十都是中国学生。

Pretty much the same percentage of Chinese people in the world.
差不多是中国人口占世界人口的比例了。

Take my word for it. I'm Chinese, I'm good at math.
相信我,我是中国人 数学很好的。

It is true, we are taking over everything. . . one film school at a time.
真的 我们快要掌握一切了,一次搞定一家电影学院。

Jokes aside, class of 2018 is a celebration of diversity.
不开玩笑了,2018届毕业生拥有多样文化背景。

We are from all over the world.
我们来自世界各地。

From Norway to South Africa, from the Philippines to Israel, to some of the most exotic places in the world:
从挪威到南非,从菲律宾到以色列,以及全球最具异域风情的地区。

Moldova, whatever that is.
摩尔多瓦,什么鬼地方。

And Georgia.
还有格鲁吉亚。

The country, not the state, right Michael?
是国家,不是州 ,对吧迈克?

And a place as far as a San Fernando valley, did I say that right? Mr. Sedaka?
还有遥远的圣费尔南多谷,我念对了吗?萨达卡先生?

My pathetic knowledge of world geography and culture can barely make up for my ignorance.
我感觉自己对世界地理和文化知之甚少,我的无知暴露无遗。

I remember when I first arrived at AFI two years ago, I was so in awe of everyone, everything.
我记得两年前我刚到AFI的时候,我对每个人 每件事充满敬畏。

The majestic building, these beautiful, talented people who are all way out of my league.
庄严雄伟的建筑,集高颜值和才华于一身的同学简直和我不是一个次元的。

I kept wondering if they made a mistake, for admitting me in.
我琢磨是不是学校搞错了,居然让我进了。

The assume I can pay my tuition because I'm some sort of crazy rich Asian, which is not the case.
估计是觉得我是个疯了心的能付得起学费的亚洲土豪吧,有没有搞错。

I mean, I'm crazy alright, but I'm dead broke, just like my fellows.
我承认我很疯狂,但我可是和其他人一样 穷的叮当响。

So for a while in the first year I was in constant social anxiety.
在第一学年有段时间我患上了社交焦虑症。

I don't know how to make friends, and I would always miss home and isolate.
我不知道怎么交朋友,想家想得要命,孤独得要命。

However, that situation changed immediately after we started out cycle one shoot.
但是在我们完成第一次摄制作业后,我的焦虑症就好了大半。

You know what transcends all linguistic and cultural barriers?
到底是什么打破了语言和文化壁垒?

Hunger and sleep deprivation.
饥饿和缺觉。

We barely had time for the most essential things in life after we started our cycle one.
当我们拍摄时,吃饭和睡觉时间少之又少。

We didn't have coffee on campus, and salads on food trucks cost 80 dollars.
校园里没有咖啡店,快餐车的沙拉要卖80美元。

It was super easy to make friends.
交朋友简直太容易了。

"Hey I'm starving! Do you wanna go out and grab some food"? Sure,
我饿死了,“吃点儿什么去吧",“好啊!”

And then we're friends.
然后大家就是朋友了。

I suspect this is all a deliberate strategy of the administration -a tough love kind of deal.
我怀疑一切是学校有意为之,爱之深责之切。

Because collaboration is held so high at AFI and what's the most efficient way to force a bunch of ambitious, proud, young artists to bond?
在AFI 我们要时刻高举团队合作的大旗,如何才能最有效地团结一帮雄心勃勃,骄傲,年轻的艺术家呢?

Structured, discipline specific, accredited torture.
需要有组织,有纪律,有授权地,折磨他们。

It's good that we have a cafe on campus now, thanks to Mr. Gladstein.
还好我们现在有咖啡店了,感谢格莱德斯坦先生。

Next step is to lobby for something with a michelin star.
下一步是引进米其林星级餐厅。

But seriously, we have benefited immensely from the collaboration we have had for the past two years.
说真的 在过去两年的合作中我们学到了很多东西。

And I'm so grateful for all my classmates.
我非常感谢班上的同学。

The searing agony of collaboration made us some sort of a family.
痛苦的合作与磨合 让我们成为了一家人。

Never in my life have I imagined I could be in an environment where we celebrate our differences, and find our voices through the conservatory itself: our obsessive compulsive producing family, our self-loving directing family, our very sexy cinematography family, our paint speckled production design family, our pasty face editing family, and my brilliant, beautiful, employable screenwriting family.
我这辈子从来没想过有个地方鼓励大家展现出不同之处,在学习中找到属于自己的心声:制片系是强迫症集中营,导演系的自恋狂堆成山,性感尤物出没的摄影系,油漆斑驳的美术系,面无血色的剪辑系,以及我们杰出迷人 一心搬砖的编剧系。

One of the screenwriting rules I learnt from my second year feature mentor, who shall remain nameless, Mr. Stan Chervin, completely altered my view on life.
我从二年级电影编剧导师那里学到了一条剧本创作的原则,是不是匿名比较好,斯坦·切尔文先生,他颠覆了我的人生观。

He said and I quote, "There should be only one shtup scene in a screenplay.
我引用一下他的话,"香艳场景在剧本里只能出现一次。

A second shtup only undermines the first."
第二次只会破坏第一次的效果"

Now, for people who don't speak Yiddish -shtup is slang for sex.
不会意第绪语的朋友们shtup的意思就是那啥。

For the benefit of our Chinese parents, The thing we can do after we get married is shtup.
在场的中国父母们听好,我们结婚以后才能做的事情就是shtup。

I told them that shtup means the activity we do for the first time after guests leave on our wedding night.
我刚刚说shtup就是我们在婚宴当晚 客人散去后夫妻才会做的运动。

Ever since I first heard this from Stan, I just couldn't get over how profound this rule is.
自从我听过斯坦讲的这个原则,我总忍不住品味它的深刻之处。

Think about it, a great shtup scene in a script, is a significant life-changing moment, only happens once.
想一下。剧本里的那个香艳的场景,那是能改变人生的一刻 只能出现一次。

Just like our time here at AFI, it's so meaningful and delicate, and perfect in its singularity.
正如我们在AFI度过的时光,意义非凡 美妙无比,只有一次 所以完美。

It needs to be cherished and harnessed.
我们要珍惜 永记这段岁月。

We've had these two years to find our voices, to build our craft, to experiment, to be crazy, to fail and cry, to lift each other back up, and ultimately to embrace our imperfections.
两年时间 我们找到自己的心声,打造作品 反复试验,疯狂也罢,失败大哭也罢,相互扶持也罢,终于接受了自己的不足之处。

So as we sit here, basking in the after glow of our AFI shtup, like all good shtups, we've done something right, we've done something embarrassingly wrong.
我们坐在这里。各自回味与AFI的香艳时光,就像所有美妙瞬间,我们做过正确的决定,也犯过尴尬的错误。

But now it's time for us, the class of 2018, to get out there, and show Hollywood how we, AFI fellows, shtup!
现在到了我们大显身手的时刻,2018届的毕业生们,让我们冲出去,让好莱坞看看AFI的毕业生是多么香艳!

Thank you very much!
谢谢大家!

近日,网上热传一段视频,是美国电影学院编剧系的中国留学生孔乐琪的毕业演讲。对她的演讲,很多人这么评价:“害羞内敛”是不少外国人对于中国人的刻板印象。而最近,有这样一位中国留学生,在美国电影学院的毕业典礼上发表了一段惊艳的演讲……

这段话将这个女孩置于中国/美国的二元语境中:外国(美国)人如何看中国人?作者试图代表中国人对这种看法作出某种回应。这种回应是很挣扎的:不接受这样的“刻板印象”,要摆脱这样的“刻板印象”。当这个女孩出现后,就被拿来作为一个证据:你看,我们中国人不是你说的这样,中国人也能在大庭广众面前侃侃而谈,让听众哈哈大笑,毫不怯场……但我觉得,这种自豪感是可疑的。这几乎就是承认“含蓄内敛”不是一种好的个性,是要摒弃的东西——这种抵制的背后的标准是什么?来自哪里?还是欧美人的眼光,还是欧美人的审美标准,还是落入了欧美的评价标准。

孔乐琪的演讲效果确实好,台上就坐的老师、官员,台下的学生,笑成一片,一点不输奥巴马。这是美国式的演讲:用故事暗示、比喻,一语双关;在现场抓取最新发生的细节说事,以机智征服听众,以自嘲卖萌……一个留学生,在美国呆了那么多年,会运用美国式的幽默,并不令人意外。融入并能够运用所在国的文化,是一种能力,但是,我们所不了解的,这个视频也没有介绍的——孔乐琪所掌握的专业知识和能力,以及她求学过程中的种种努力,对准备或正在国外留学的年轻人或许更有启迪、激励作用。毕业演讲,只是她努力多年之后一个水到渠成的结果。

当媒体或社会公众将孔乐琪置于文化二元的语境中,用她作为“自豪感”的依据时,大概她的父母看女儿时的眼光,是最少甚至是不带文化区别心的。作为父母此时的心情是最单纯的:欣慰。

孔乐琪或者其他留学生,在融入美国文化,学会了美国式的表达时,难道就没有保留一点中国人“害羞内敛”吗?“害羞内敛”或“含蓄内敛”真的不是一种好的个性,应该摒弃吗?一个人就不能有时“含蓄内敛”,有时“侃侃而谈”吗?为什么要将两种不同的个性人为地对立起来呢?这种非此即彼的狭隘思维,不但中国人有,美国人也有。

孔乐琪的演讲当然是典型的美国式,但是,其中的美国式幽默,与中国人的含蓄倒是相通的:不直说,戒直白;倒是很多中国人在公开场合的语言活动比如演讲、报告,倒是既没有美国式的幽默,也没有中国传统的含蓄。含蓄,作为一个审美范畴,是中国传统文化艺术的艺术特征。简单地否定含蓄内敛,很没有文化。但如果将中式的含蓄以西方的幽默手法表达出来,这也真是学贯中西的一种体现,这也是网上对孔乐琪演讲赞赏声一片的根本原因。